Special Holiday Recipe Review: Today was my boyfriend’s birthday!🎉🎊
A while back, I asked him what he wanted me to bake him (and I left out the for your birthday part…) he said a cookie cake!🍪 So, I decided to surprise him with a cookie cake for his birthday!
Knowing he loves cookies🍪 that are moist and chewy in the middle, I searched around and found a recipe that looked like a winner!🎉 👏
✋Note: I altered the recipe in 3⃣ ways!✨
1⃣~Instead of All Purpose Flour, I used Almond Meal (which is my new favorite gluten-free flour🌟!)
- 👍Almond meal can be store bought or simply made from putting raw almonds in a food processor, magic bullet, or pulsing on a blender.
- 🌟Almond Meal gives anything an incredible deep, rich, and nutty flavor.
- Use it 1⃣ to 1⃣ to replace any flour with any recipe, but you may have to reduce any liquids.
- 👌HOWEVER, Almond Meal will make the color deeper and darker brown instead of the light golden brown we all love our cookies 🍪(and cookie cakes to be.)
- So you decide what is the right flour for you.💁🏻
2⃣~ I used coconut palm sugar instead of granulated sugar.🍬
- Coconut palm sugar is my favorite✨ sugar to use in baking!
- Use 1⃣to1⃣ when replacing other sugars.
- It has a low glysemic index👍, it ACTUALLY contains trace vitamins and minerals*, and has only 1⃣5⃣ calories!
*It contains zinc, magnesium, potassium and copper
- 😻 Additionally, it has a divine, rich carmelly and molassesy taste. 👏
- HOWEVER, it also tends to darken the color, so for a less healthy but more picturesque cookie cake🍪 keep the flours and sugars the same.🙏
- But best of all…
3⃣~ The recipe actually forgot to say when to put in molasses (which is on the list of ingredients), so in turn I forgot to add it. Fortunately, my coconut palm sugar still gave the cookie cake a nice, subtle, molassesy taste. 👌
‼️Also, when using Almond Meal–you want to reduce the liquids in your recipe. 🌟⭐️ So if using almond meal? Forgo the molasses and use coconut palm sugar.☑️
IMPORTANT TIP: The recipe says that after you bake it, to bump it up from 3⃣5⃣0⃣ to 4⃣2⃣5⃣ and leave it in for a couple minutes. DO THIS! Otherwise you will get the baking blues! 😨 I didn’t do this initially, and my cake was liquidy and bubbling until I did.
Note: when I took the cake out it was still bubbling. If yours looks like the video when it comes out of the oven : DON’T PANIC!😱 Let it sit and it will settle. So long as the fork🍴 comes out clean you’re golden!💛
The Skinny on the Icing!
- 🍰Let the cake cool for a long time before icing it.!
- Use all–natural non hydrogenated vegetable shortening, unless you want melty mess like my cake!👇(I didn’t use any shortening)
- Instead of Oreos (which still contain trans fats, use Newman–O’s!)
- I had to use about a 1/2 cup more powdered sugar, than it says, to taste perfectly sweet~
- My boyfriend loved💕 it! He said it didn’t taste healthy (even though it was~) & he thought it was very yummy.
- Also, being a sweetie (and the best boyfriend ever) he told me he thought it was a beautiful cake~❤️
Until next time, remember: eat your veggies, and have your (cookie🍪) cake too!✨